Coach Benitez sacked by Inter Milan, December 23, 2010

« Older   Newer »
Irena
CAT_IMG Posted on 23/12/2010, 16:58

(CNN) -- Rafael Benitez's reign as coach of Inter Milan has lasted only six months after the European champions terminated the Spaniard's contract on Thursday.

The 50-year-old's position has been in doubt since last Saturday when he demanded that the Italian club's owner Massimo Moratti back him with support in the January transfer window.

Following Inter's Club World Cup final success in Abu Dhabi, Benitez angered Moratti when he criticized the board for not investing in new players after he took over from treble winner Jose Mourinho in June.

He leaves with Inter through to the second round of the Champions League, but languishing seventh in the Serie A table -- 13 points behind leaders and city rivals AC Milan.

Rafa Benitez's old tricks backfire in Italy

"F.C. Internazionale and Rafael Benitez wish to convey that, together and with mutual satisfaction, they have reached an agreement for the early cancellation of their working partnership," the Serie A side said in a statement on its website.

"F.C. Internazionale would like to thank Rafael Benitez for his work in charge of the team, which he guided to success in the Italian League Super Cup and in the FIFA Club World Cup."

Benitez received a reported $6 million payoff when he left English club Liverpool on June 3, and is now expected to receive more compensation for the rest of his two-year deal with Inter.

His agent was in talks with Inter this week, as Moratti initially refused to comment on Benitez's future.

The club statement said Benitez "would like to thank F.C. Internazionale for the important professional experience and for the victories achieved together."

Benitez has been back in England this week during the Italian season's winter break, as he still owns a house in Liverpool.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football...benitez/?hpt=T2

actually i'm not interested in the italian league and don't know if his work was really so bad. It's clear that for a club like inter is, there's something embarassing to be on the 17th place in the league table. But i'm not an enthusiast of outplacing managers only after 6 months of their work...
they're still playing in the champions league

Edited by Irena - 23/12/2010, 17:20

OjosMágicos
CAT_IMG Posted on 23/12/2010, 17:29

Would be great to see him back at Liverpool I miss him alot most of the fans would like to see him back I don't think Roy is the right man for the job

OjosMágicos
CAT_IMG Posted on 23/12/2010, 19:02

these are on the gates at Anfield

Irena
CAT_IMG Posted on 23/12/2010, 23:45

ohhh i see many people miss rafa..
but i remember when it was nearly end of his career at Anfield, many fans wer complaining about him, disagreeing with his decisions and when he decided to leave LFC they were glad.
but yes, his supporters were also. I think he did big things for LFC but his time is just up. The team needed something fresh. I don't know if Roy has given it to them.We all can see what are the last results
But I also think, if the results were better, many supporters wouldn't like to Rafa be here again. That's clear
heh.. i've read some interview with roy and he said something like this team "is not his team". Because it was given to him and he hadn't many possibilities to buy somobody new and to build this team from scratch. And he's looking forward to the transfer window
We will see, maybe he will show us something...

3 replies since 23/12/2010, 16:58   37 views